If I ever wake up with hangover, by lunch time there is only one thing on my mind. Carbonara. There is something about the comforting mix of pasta, cream, eggs and cheese that makes it heaven sent.
Thankfully if the ingredients aren’t already in the cupboard/fridge, any old corner store will have them – so there’s less chance of being spotted out on a desperate shopping trip in those poorly-concealed pyjamas and sunglasses.
Ingredients (for 2 people)
Dried Spaghetti – enough for 2 people
1 large, free-range egg
100 ml of single or double cream
1 onion, finely chopped
1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp of Parmesan cheese, grated or slithers
Sun-dried or oak-roasted tomatoes, with 1 tbsp of their juice/oil (optional) or 1 tbsp olive oil
Fresh basil leaves, torn (optional)
- Put your spaghetti to cook in plenty of salted water
- Fry the onion and garlic on a low heat in a little olive oil until
- Mix the egg, cream, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and tomatoes (if using) with a fork
- When the pasta is ready, drain and return to the pan. Add the onions and the egg mix, and stir (don’t reheat).
- Serve with more parmesan, pepper and the basil leaves (if using).
- Get well soon.